Sunday, June 23, 2013

Oh hell, no! He has to go!

That is NOT my hand, that is the Reluctant Farmer's hand.  I would never hold that thing!


I can deal with a lot of things....  Spiders, lice, fleas, flies, mosquitoes, fine...  Ticks?!  Hell no!  I was petting one of the new foster collies and found a lump on his neck.  Upon closer inspection I realized it was a tick.  A big, ugly, blood sucking beast that just looked evil.  I did what any logical "pet mommy" would do, jumped up screamed like I was being stabbed in my kidney and ran like crazy.  Lucky for me (and Norris the collie) the Reluctant Farmer is braver and more "woodsy" than I am.  She quickly, with a ninja like skill, pulled the embedded tick out and saved our family from the drama and mass destruction that only a tick can cause.

Now, because some of you folks may not have your own Reluctant Farmer to do your dirty, tick removal, I am going to share with you a few things that have been working on our dogs for tick control.  (The collies just got here...)

1)  Ticks LOVE tall grass.  Keep your yard mowed and free of overgrown grass and vegetation, and if you are going to be hiking or hanging out in grassy areas be sure to inspect your pet thoroughly so you can remove any ticks before they attach to your pet.

2)  One of the natural repellents that we use with great success is rose geranium oil which we apply to our dog's collars before taking them out into the woods.  Remember, NEVER apply essential oils to your cat, that can have bad reactions to essential oils.....

3)  Daily our dogs are given a product called Bug Off Garlic by Springtime. http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/dogs  We give this product year round, and I have to say that our chemical flea and tick product usage has been lessened by over 90 %.  (And this year, I haven't seen a single flea or tick on any of our dogs!)  Remember garlic is poisonous to cats...

I hope this gives you a few ideas to help combat the ticks this season, and that your dogs will remain bug free so the only thing you have to worry about is having fun this summer!


Please remember, I am not a veterinarian and in no way am I giving medical advice.  I am only telling you what has been working on our group of dogs.  And as always, please research different products, form your own opinions and consult your veterinarian to find the product and methods that work best for you and your pets....








No comments:

Post a Comment