Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Girl on fire, literally...


It seems as of late I have been going to bed stressed and because of that I have not been sleeping well.  It amazes me how much that changes if you are physically tired though.  This week I find myself looking for an excuse to go to bed as soon as it's dark.  There is no time for reading, or blogging.  As soon as the sun sets, my self is ready for bed!  I have been physically and emotionally challenged this week and I can't keep my eyes open much past 9 pm.

For the last few days I have sawed, hammered, lifted, beat, drilled, and dug my way through life here on the farm.  I have gotten up early and as long as there has been no rain, I have been outdoors working my tail off.  We are taking the raised beds that we put in last year out and replacing them with new beds.  Of course that entails me making new beds to put down and then removing all of the dirt from the old bed, replacing the old bed with a new bed, and refilling it with dirt.  We have done this over and over, and will continue to do it another 7 times before this project is complete.

Today's projects included finishing the construction of our 11 new raised beds as well as our neighbors 2 beds, and the demolition of a very large rabbit cage.  (The cage is so large, that we had to use a Bobcat to move it into place....)  After swinging a 12 lb. sledge hammer over my head several million times, I can tell you that the song "Girl On Fire" has a whole new meaning!  I flat out hurt.

We did this 3 times total....
Along with the absolute physical beating that I have been giving myself for the last 3 days, I have paid off 3 1/2 credit cards and cleaned the car today.  I will go to bed tonight beat to hell, blistered, bruised, and happier than I have been in months.  Tomorrow is a new day, and I will be out there with my sledge hammer and shovel to greet it head on!

3 comments:

  1. I am curious, why you needed to replace the beds you did last year? What did you need to do different this time around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year about this time in a blog post titled "Procrastination Finally Pays Off" or something to the likes of that, I talk about using these crates that my dad gave me, as raised beds. I knew that they were going to have to be replaced within a year or two because they were just not made solidly. The material they were made out of was a pressed board material that just did not hold up in the elements, so this year we decided to spend the money and purchase lumber to make solid beds. I couldn't beat free last year, but with not adding any real expense to the farm animal wise this year, I couldn't justify not spending $15.00 per bed on something that I use 8 months out of the year.

      Delete
  2. Now I just have to get you out there to fill the rest with dirt for me!

    ReplyDelete