Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Update: Bluebelle


I went out this morning to feed the chickens and rabbits, and sadly Bluebelle had passed away in her sleep.  I am going to miss that blue egg laying, fluffy cheeked hen.  Blue was always the first chicken to beg for food, or follow us around the yard scratching for bugs.  She was my pick chick last spring, and the prettiest hen we had.

Death is inevitable on a farm, just as it is in life, but there are still those times that death hurts.  Today is one of those days.  All of the chickens have their own personality and special characteristics.  Bluebelle added something to our chicken flock.   She gifted us daily with the most amazing blue eggs and a fearless attitude.  I will yearn for her a bit tonight and miss her for long after......

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about Bluebelle! We have one that is getting closer too but they have had very good lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your chicken. Yes it is part of farm life but you are right about chickens having their own little personalities and you grow to love them for the happiness and laughter they bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a great life and I will miss those blue eggs. (My neighbor kids and nephews will too! They thought they tasted better!) There is something about blue eggs that just make egg collecting more exciting then normal. Life on a farm is a constant ebb and flow of life vs. death, and I will get more Americauna chickens in the spring. Here's to blue eggs next year!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. :-( It's so hard when we lose pets. I second what Kathy said. She had a good life and was lucky to have you.

    Bonnie
    www.HungryChickenHomestead.com

    ReplyDelete