Monday, September 17, 2012

And they are out!



Summer brought upon us very high temperatures this year, and unfortunately it really heated up the outdoors and in turn our garage.  I tried everything I could think of to keep our angora rabbits cool, and I just was not successful.  With temperatures holding steady at 90-100 degrees the temperature inside my garage was over 110 degrees at times!

The first week I purchased 2 industrial sized fans to help cool them off.  That moved the air but did not keep them cool.  The second week I purchased a fan that misted water.  That did cool the garage by 10 degrees, however my angoras were soaking wet and the floor had puddles I could have floated the Titanic in.  The third week I purchased a 17,000 BTU portable air conditioner.  (Nothing but the best for the animals on this farm!)  Sadly, that did not work either.  Finally, when I was in tears and flat out exhausted I did what any crazy woman with a bunch fuzzy rabbits would do:  I moved them into my house!  

This was really not want I wanted to do, but after all of the stress I decided I could take no more!  I moved all of the angoras into the study and that is where they have been for the last 12 weeks.  I will not say that this has not been stressful.  It has been slightly more than I bargained for, but there is good news!  Finally there has been a break in the weather, and the Reluctant Farmer and I have moved the rabbits back out to the garage!  Praise God!

Next year I plan on having one of those fans installed in the eve of the garage so that hot air can escape and having the windows replaced with actual windows that can be opened.  (The garage is old and the windows are fixed...)  Hopefully, that will be the key to keeping the angora rabbits comfortable in the summer.  I learn something new everyday that I am out here, and even though my ideas fail sometimes and often things don't go my way, I will say I have no regrets.  I am sitting on the brink of something big folks.  I can feel it.....


This blog was posted on:




7 comments:

  1. I have one anogra and keep her in the living room in a cage in Summer. Even then, I had the fans running full time and trimmed her fur back as much as I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how bad the heat would affect them. It makes you wonder how people keep these guys in warmer climates?

      Delete
  2. We have had temperatures in the high 90's to low 100's for the last two months with very few breaks. Yuck! Our angoras are kept outside in a shed with lattice for the top half of each wall. With a fan constantly running and frozen water bottles changed out twice a day we have only lost one baby to heat stroke. Luckily everyone else has made it through just fine. Hopefully cooler temperatures will reach you soon! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures are definitely better now. I hope venting the garage and putting in the windows that can be opened will be enough for next summer. I don't mind bringing them in for the day but having them in for longer than that is just too much!

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted an angora bunny! I hope that the cooler temps are here to stay now for you. You are one great Momma! I'd love to invite you to link up to our blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog ! New fan here. I hope you'll come link up with my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This summer was my first summer with our bunnies and I was NOT prepared to deal with them in the heat waves we had. Poor little buns. The cool house does seem to be the best idea.

    ReplyDelete