Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bedlam Farm - Meeting Jon and Maria


Several years ago I went through a very dark time in my life, and there were times that getting up in the morning hurt me mentally and emotionally.  During that time I was reading a book by Jon Katz and stumbled upon his blog.  I read it daily, and fell in love with his farm.  There were times that what he wrote spoke to me and many of mornings they were the only reason I got out of bed.  I still read his blog every morning (http://www.bedlamfarm.com) , as well as his wife Maria's blog  (http://www.fullmoonfiberart.com).




I knew I was coming to Jenna's workshop this weekend, and I knew that while I was there I had to drive past Bedlam Farm.  My intention was to only get a picture of the farm, and the view that he describes in his writing.  We drove past and stopped at the end of his driveway so I could get my pictures when his dog Frieda started barking.  Of course, I did not want to intrude or bother Jon or Maria so I waved and we quickly drove off.  We got several houses up the road when Solitare mentioned that we should turn around and photograph some waterfalls that we passed on our way to the farm.  I agreed that it wouldn't hurt to turn around, but asked her to please not slow down in front of the house this time because I did not want to bother  them.  


I was taking pictures of the waterfall when I turned around, and there were Maria and Jon walking towards me!  I explained to them that we were in town for Jenna's workshop and I had to drive by Bedlam Farm.  I was bit shy when talking with them and even more so when they graciously invited us back to their farm so I could take more pictures and meet the animals!




We went back to Bedlam Farm and were greeted by Mother and Minnie, and then Jon and Maria introduced us to Simon and the rest of the donkeys.  We also loved on Lenore, the "Hound of Love".  (I honestly thought Solitare might never leave their driveway!)  Lenore is cute in her pictures on the blog, but even cuter when you are scratching her butt!  It just made my heart happy to tell Jon how much his writing and work meant to me.  This was the perfect end to a great weekend, and I am so happy that I was able to meet Jon, Maria, and Jenna today.  I am exhausted tonight folks, and must get to bed.  I promise I will post pictures and write about the chicken workshop tomorrow.









9 comments:

  1. Sweet!!!!
    I appreciated your blog this am...Yes, Jon and Maria are wonderfully amazing folks!
    Best wishes, Marjorie Goodson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I love your blog. It is an affirmation of life, determination and courage. I was very pleased to meet you and Solitaire and very touched by your words about the farm and my work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and I am glad you love my blog. Those words mean so much coming from you! I hope all is well and good luck with the art show this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Oh how wonderful! So nice of them to invite you to take some pics and visit with the farm animals! The Mama's dream is to one day have a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were just wonderful. It was just amazing to see Bedlam Farms.

      I would love to have a farm too, and it is in my plans at some point. I am loving the urban farm thing though! I love seeing what all I can do with the little bit of land that I have.

      Delete
  4. I read all of Jon Katz' books when we first moved here to our farm in Virginia. I am a Yankee born and bred and his books brought me right back to my childhood in Massachusetts. You are SO fortunate to have met him and visited Bedlam Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics! I sooo want a donkey someday.
    Thanks for joining the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome!! Yes, Jon's books are amazing! His book; A Good Dog has to be my absolute favorite. It's my absolute favorite, because it was the first book I read, it gave me a different perspective on Border Collies and training them. I was having problems with a female Border Collie, Skylar, who I got from the same breeder as Jon got Orson and Rose from, and I think Homer as well. His writing takes you to another world, gives you great insight on dogs, especially Border Collies. I love reading about his adventures with Rose. She reminds me of a dog I trained from my Border Collie's breeder, Tesa. I think how he moved to Bedlam farm from the city is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete