Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Chronicle of the meat chicken: Part 4

Yum!


Well, today we cooked one of the chickens that we raised.  They flavor was amazing, but I thought the meat was tough.  It was not terrible, just chewier then what I thought it would be and chewier then what I would buy at the grocery store.  I don't understand why they are tough.  I need to do some research.  I butchered them at 8 weeks and 3 days old just as the hatchery recommended.  I fed them a high protein food and I made sure they got exercise.  If anyone else knows why this is, please let me know!  

1 comment:

  1. When we butchered our chickens they were roosters and older so they were very tough. I noticed when I just roasted or boiled them they were very tough as well. I have found that putting them in a crock pot works the best with them. The meat falls off the bone. It was very good! So far that has worked the best for me. Im still experimenting myself. I think it's all a learning experiance lol.

    ReplyDelete